When I first was told about Kefir and its awesomeness I really at that time just clung onto these couple of fact: it taste a lot like non flavored Yogurt/sour cream and that because the Kefir grains consume the lactose and casein in milk that I could once again eat a milk product I was soooooo excited (if you are lactose and casein intolerant/sensitive you should consult your doctor before trying this)! After that fun bundle of lovely info I started my online search for kefir facts, I learned what I needed and called a friend for a kefir grain also known as a scooby and started my Kefir adventure... this stuff is more than AWESOME its life changing! This is going to get maybe a little TMI but I have to let you know how its changed my life. I have had an issue with my mmmm hmmmm going number two my whole life... I know I know TMI but if you have had a problem with going to the bathroom you totally understand... I'm going to be a little more TMI I would go maybe once a week if not longer... no that is not good! After about a month of starting my daily Kefir consumption I noticed a dramatic change of my #2 Schedule from maybe once a week to daily! WHAT?!?!?!??! (P.S. I would also like to add that I had tried everything before starting my Kefir consumption and had been on a very high dose of Probiotic for over a year that my Dr had suggested with no change to my bathroom schedule)! Not only was my gut saying thank you but I also felt so much better, sleeping all night and my mood was sooooo much better, I was actually mostly happy and I actually just felt better! But to top it all off the fantastic bacteria and yeast have helped my family not get sick this winter... I didn't get sick not even once and I work in an office that deals with the public, and we all know they never stay home when they are sick! so below I will show you how I start my kefir for kefir Greek yogurt.
Step one: wash your strainer and place a coffee filter in the middle, I leave my strainer damp so the coffee filter will stick to the bottom.
Step two: Place your Strainer into a bowl that is big enough to capture the whey that will separate from your Kefir, Pour your kefir into the middle and the coffee filter will spread out all on its own, containing the Kefir.
Step 3: Scoop out your Keifer Grain and place into a bottle to start a new batch of Kefir, mine are very large so they are easy to find. If your grains are small you will want to stain them out first and then start with step 1. Then Place a small plate on top of your Kefir and put it in the fridge over night.
This is what my Kefir looks like after 24 hours in the fridge . its very thick and almost the same consistency as Cream Cheese. At this time you can use it in mashed potatoes for that sour cream flavor, or scoop it into a bowl add some of your favorite homemade jam let sit for a couple of hours in the fridge and enjoy your own Kefir Greek yogurt! P.S. I think it taste better than store purchased Greek Yogurt! I also have added this to my Favorite Banana bread and it was AWESOME! I will be posting that recipe soon!
Don't be afraid of Kefir its just like eating yogurt but sooooo much better for you and its made at home! So not only is it cheaper to make than to buy you also know what environment this fantastic stuff was made in and you know exactly what is in it!!!! P.S. I highly suggest you to Google this fantastic stuff! You will be absolutely amazed by its many benefits!... it really has been the best thing for my whole family!
No comments:
Post a Comment